HealthSelect of Texas participants must have a primary care provider (PCP) on file with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) to get the highest level of benefits.
After their first 60 days in the plan, participants who do not have a PCP will pay at the out-of-network level for any care they get – even if they see in-network providers – until they choose a PCP.
Once participants make their PCP selection, their PCP must coordinate all their medical services for them to get coverage at the in-network level.
Here’s how to choose a PCP
Participants can call a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 (TTY: 711), Monday—Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. CT, to help them find and choose their PCP.
Or, they can choose their PCP online by following these steps:
- Log in to Blue Access for MembersSM by clicking on “Log In” in the upper right corner at www.healthselectoftexas.com. (If a Blue Access for Members account has not been set up yet, participants can do so in just a few minutes.)
- Click on the “Doctors & Hospitals” tab and then the “Change Primary Care Physician” link.
- From the dropdown, choose “Other” as the reason for the change, then verify the address where the medical ID card will be mailed and click “Next.”
- Search for a provider by name or leave Provider Name blank and enter search criteria and click “Search.”
- Choose the PCP from the search results and click “Apply.” Review selected PCP and “Submit.”